Thursday, September 3, 2015

Saying Grace



From Rev. Jasper Peters, Associate Pastor

Growing up, my family would always say grace before a meal. My father would say the same thing before each meal. Every so often, the children would be invited to say a rudimentary prayer, but often we would just be there to listen. I never understood why it was called grace.

My first week away at college, I realized I could now begin to figure out who I would be, independent of family traditions. I considered whether it was necessary to continue saying a formulaic prayer before I ate. It was honestly difficult to make this decision in the middle of a college dining hall. While sitting at a table of 18 and 19-year-olds, I stopped talking, closed my eyes, and I took a moment to think.

I thought about all the things that had happened in my life that had brought me to that moment at that table. I acknowledged all the things that might have gone differently in my life, preventing me from sitting at that table. Then I thought about the sacrifices of plants and animals that made the meal possible at all. Something had to die so that I might live. How could all this even be possible? All of a sudden, the word “grace” made a lot more sense.

I decided then and there that praying before a meal would be something I did going forward, not because I had been taught to do so, but rather because I decided to do so on my own. I don’t always say the same words, but rather I sit there quietly, calming down enough to realize that I didn’t earn what I have, but rather it is a massive and meaningful gift. After a few days, several of my new friends took notice of my 10-15 second pre-meal silent ritual. Some of them stared as if they were confused. A few others complimented me, thinking I must be some sort of monk-in-training. In reality, I simply had a lot for which I was thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment