Monday, April 18, 2016

A Place to Belong...

By Rev. Jasper Peters, Associate Pastor



I remember the moment when I realized that the church of my youth could no longer be my church home. I had questions that my church wasn't able to answer. No one showed me to the door, but it became clear over time that I couldn't find what I was looking for in that space. I am deeply aware of what it feels like to not belong. 

Even as painful as that was, I know people who've had much worse experiences in church. I know people who had similar experiences, except they were shown the door. They were told that they did not fit, were not welcome, and could not belong. 

Yet, we can look to the example of Jesus. He invited those who had been rejected, those who were broken, those who thought they had everything, and they all walked together. His was a radical and limitless invitation. What's more, He reoriented their lives with a call for justice. He invited them into a Kingdom that did not yet exist, and then gave them the tools to create it. This new world, this place where God's love and justice reigns, is a place where all may belong. 

This is something Trinity has tried to do since its inception. Our church has grown into a regional beacon, drawing members and attendees from dozens of miles around each week. We now have the opportunity to share much of that wisdom, experience, and love for God in a new endeavor that is focused on a much smaller geographic area. Trinity has been invited to share in the birthing of a new church community. The call is to act first at a parent entity, and later as a partner congregation. As a parent, Trinity might lend the expertise and stability of experience boards, helping to guide the new congregation. As a partner, Trinity might engage in collaborative ministry opportunities, working to discern creative ways to bless and serve our neighbors. 

This new congregation will be called Belong. It is a community that is intentionally diverse, accepting of all, and focused on promoting justice. We will be located in what is currently St. Paul's UMC (scheduled to close at the end of May 2016). We will begin weekly worship in early 2017. I recognize that this news might present more questions than answers. In the coming months, we will have opportunities to ask questions as a community, and to seek God's presence and will together. In the meantime, I am happy to answer any questions that I am able, so feel free to call or email. 

Yours in Christ, 

Rev. Jasper

720-248-7387 | jpeters@trinityumc.org

No comments:

Post a Comment