Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Staff Pick! Book Recommendation from Angie Cummins, Church Administrator

What To Do When There's Too Much To Do by Laura Stack
Order online

As a mom who works full time, efficiency and organization are important aspects of my life each and every day. While my job as Trinity’s Church Administrator offers me flexibility that other positions might not, I still have to be on my toes to ensure that the church runs smoothly and everyone at home is fed and has clean clothes. Oh, and that there is time to ski or hike on weekends, too!
   
As a member of a book club that meets once a month, I enjoy a good novel here and there, but I also try to include a self-improvement or productivity book when I can. I love tips for being organized, but often find that I am already employing them. I recently read a book by Colorado author and “Productivity Pro” Laura Stack that caught my attention. Written in 2012, her book offers fundamental and philosophical approaches to organization, time management, and institutional challenges as well as practical tips to improve work flow, organization, and overall effectiveness.  For years I used the Franklin Covey planner to plan my work and work my plan and loved the basic structure the system provided for my life and goals. With the increase of email and electronic planners and the reduction of paper, my daily planner has taken a backseat to my handheld device, and I miss the fundamental virtues upon which the Franklin planner was built. Stack’s book was a reminder that you need to make time for the “big rocks” and priorities in your life and that if you are organized and have control over the fundamentals, the smaller, less important issues will fall to the bottom, exactly where they belong. The book touts that you can save 90 minutes a day by using her tips and tricks. There are no gimmicks, and the practical application of her suggestions impacts my overall effectiveness on any given day. She calls it her Productivity Workflow Formula (PWF) and encourages the reader to organize life around those things that are actually important and those things that appear to be important but really aren’t. Using strategies I learned from this book that reduce or eliminate distractions, interruptions, commitments, and inefficiencies, I have been able to reduce my to-do list and increase my productivity.
   
The book is a quick read (I couldn’t put it down), and while I initially read it on an e-reader, I also ended up purchasing a copy for my permanent collection and so I could make notes. The author has a website (www.productivitypro.com) that offers a free 6-day productivity email course and lists her other books as well as productivity quizzes to assess your skills and areas of opportunity. I enjoyed this and hope you will too!

No comments:

Post a Comment