Wednesday, February 17, 2016

"Searching for Sunday" Lenten Devotional Series: Renewal




Wednesday, February 17

Renewal

And he took the children in his arms, placed his hands on them and blessed them.Mark 10:16
As long as I can remember my family went to church. As a young boy it was a challenge to get my three brothers and me ready for church. I remember the “strict” rules my parents had about being dressed and ready to go before being able to read the Sunday comics. We attended the Methodist church in Bartlesville, Oklahoma. The church is still there, although recently moved from its downtown location to the suburbs. And doing well. That church was full of teaching for me. The Sunday school classes, the MYF, fellowship hall activities, sermons, special concerts, even boy scouts were all there. Even now when I return to visit, my father’s Sunday school class is filled with my former Sunday school mentors.
As an adult I came to find Sunday church a pause in the week for renewal. To have that quiet, reflective time. A moment to be personally wrapped in God’s love and in the fellowship of other believers. To be reminded that Christ is with us and the Holy Spirit is always guiding us. Sunday Church was that break from the hectic week to renew my soul and spirit.  Trinity is even more than renewal. I knew the first time I visited Trinity that this was a “participatory” church. I was deeply impressed with the mission presentation that Sunday, the sermon and the bulletin as to how many activities Trinity was involved in. It didn’t take long for my simple Sunday Church attendance to turn into participation. The opportunities to volunteer are amazing. Finding those that fit my talents and interests was easy and fulfilling.   Recently I joined the Trinity choir. Yes I have some musical background, but I had never sung in a choir before. I thought I might contribute a bit. WOW was I blessed. The Trinity choir is a community that raises each other up, actions our voices in doing good, and renews one’s spirit. O yea, we also create joyful noise to bless the whole congregation.

Let your church take you in its arms. Be the hands that bless all God’s children.
 

Barry Price

No comments:

Post a Comment