Monday, February 22, 2016

"Searching for Sunday" Lenten Devotional Series: A Different Expectation




Monday, February 22

A Different Expectation

Enter with the password:  “Thank you!”  Make yourselves at home, talking praise.  Thank God.  Worship God. 
—Psalm 100:4 (The Message)

Sunday mornings have been the primary focus of my life since before I was born as my mother was the pianist for the church in which I was baptized and raised.  Mom’s love of music, my dad’s dedication to serving in worship leadership and my grandpa’s gift of teaching a Men’s Bible study class provided a broad scope of Sunday experiences. There was never a question about how we spent Sundays.

As a minister in local congregations, Sundays have continued to be the primary focus of each week. Although there are times when the responsibilities overwhelm me as I move into a Sunday morning at Trinity, I am regularly reminded of the words of wisdom from my dear mentor Rosalie. A lifelong Director of Christian Education, the now 92 yr old Rosalie who still volunteers in her church said:

            Look for the small unexpected moments of God’s grace, love and joy.  Don’t create expectations for a perfect morning.  Let God surprise you!

And God surprises me EVERY Sunday…receiving the offering plates from ushers Kathy and Sam who grin from ear to ear with joy… observing newborns and 97 year olds arriving to worship God in the community of faith at Trinity…children eagerly join in the Children’s Message…dedicated Sunday School teachers…voices lifted in song and prayer…words of wisdom and hope from the pulpit…written prayers…conversations in Trinity café…and who knows how God will surprise me next Sunday!

Thanks be to God for Trinity - a welcoming and transforming experience:  the love of Jesus Christ.

 Linda Marshall

No comments:

Post a Comment