Tuesday, March 1, 2016

"Searching for Sunday" Lenten Devotional Series: Bushels of Apples - Traditions that bridge generations




Tuesday, March 1

Bushels of Apples - Traditions that bridge generations

I praise you for remembering me in everything and for holding to the traditions just as I passed them on to you.—1 Corinthians 11:2

Imagine loading up your 35 gallon copper kettle in a horse drawn wagon to take to church every fall.  My Grandma Luzetta Miller’s faith and devotion has been the biggest “Sunday stories” influence in my lifetime.  The day she was born, the women of the church rushed to sew another set of baby clothes.  Without modern technology, no one suspected that there would be 2 baby girls born on that winter day in 1907!  Their barn was raised with the help of friends and neighbors from the congregation.  My Grandma’s mother was one of the 675,000 US citizens who died during the 1918 influenza epidemic and the church was a source of hope, community and stability for my Grandma and her 11 year old twin sister.  The births of 2 sons and her battle with breast cancer were also supported by church friends.

My Grandma attended Pfrimmer’s Chapel United Methodist Church in Corydon, Indiana nearly every Sunday for 87 years.  Thinking of the generations of families that carry on traditions at churches like Trinity and Pfrimmer’s  brings back the memory of the annual apple butter cooking at Pfrimmer’s – huge copper kettles over wood fires, long handled wooden stirrers, days of apple peeling, chopping, cooking and canning. 

Lea Ann Reitzig
In memory of my Grandma Luzetta Gleitz Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment