Saturday, March 19, 2016

"Searching for Sunday" Lenten Devotional Series: What is Sunday?




Saturday, March 19
What is Sunday?

This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.Psalm 118:42

Sunday at Trinity has been a constant, although a variable constant, meeting my needs and the needs of our family as they change week-to-week and year-to-year.  Sunday has been a time for nurture, renewal, connection, growth, challenge, fellowship and reflection.  

Many of us live crowded lives, and I am no exception.  But it became clear to me long ago that, as the demands on my time increase, the more I need to be intentional about taking time away from everything else to work on my relationship with God. Sometimes the progress is meager, at best.  Sometimes I make no progress at all – but even then, Sunday brings an opportunity to share in a community that is accepting and supportive.  This community has been important over the years, and it has seen us through changes in our lives, and sheltered and taught and nurtured our children, giving them a foundation for their own lives.  

Sometimes, all I can ask of Sunday is a few moments of peace and reflection, usually in worship.  This itself if a gift – just to reconnect with a deeper longing and purpose that sometimes gets bypassed in the day-to-day activities.

But sometimes Sunday brings a surprise gift – moments of insight or realization that deepen my understanding, or challenge my thinking, or open me to new ways of thinking about God’s role in my life.  These gifts come in times and places that are both expected and unexpected – sometimes a sermon that deepens my understanding of scripture, or challenges me with a new way of thinking about old things, sometimes in moving music, sometimes conversation or study in class.  

For these gifts, I am grateful – grateful to be able to be at Trinity on Sunday.  
Paul Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment