Monday, March 14, 2016

"Searching for Sunday" Lenten Devotional Series: Sometimes...




Monday, March 14

Sometimes…
…there is still room.Luke 15:22
Sometimes I’d rather sleep in. Stay in my pjs. Read the paper in my sunny kitchen. But I come downtown…trudge through Trinity…and I’m jolted awake and alive…my friend, Brian, buys burritos in the Café and takes my daughter and her youth-group friend to give breakfast away while they talk with two homeless teenagers on the corner…later, today’s truth wells up in my eyes when the choir sings to me a gentle song of faith…at one point in the morning, I muster up the trust, find my courage and my innermost thoughts as I talk with close friends in Homebuilders class about our spiritual truths and our shared family struggles—all punctuated by “You, too?!”s and plenty of laughs, words and stories not often heard in a church that make me want to come back…then in worship, my Dad simply puts out his hand to hold mine through a tough time…no words needed…afterwards, I feel my heart jump out of its skin when I hear our children’s choir leaders, careful to divulge no specifics, marvel at the prayer one of their singers said with his friends in rehearsal and about how tall he’s walking now, then about the voice another boy just discovered he has…and I cheer silently when I hear the bold questions my daughter and friends raise with each other and with their youth leaders, leaders and teens unflinching…I cheer again when my son, back from college, is welcomed home with embraces from all generations and youth-group friendships that remain strong, unfaded by distance…I am in awe when, by chance, I meet a new care receiver in the Café and am stretched into a new walk together with her…
This is what happens for me on a Sunday…in the structures of church…and in passing…and Jasper’s and Mike’s words from the front of the sanctuary echo in my mind—the essence of why we come…why I didn’t sleep in.
A friend of mine said, “What I love about Christianity is that it embraces all of life…the good, the bad…the beautiful, the not…the trust, the doubt…the joy, the sorrow…” It’s what I love about a Sunday.

Kathy Dunnewald

No comments:

Post a Comment