Wednesday, March 2, 2016

"Searching for Sunday" Lenten Devotional Series: Sunrise




Wednesday, March 2

Sunrise

By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing, so in the seventh day he rested from all his work.  Then God blessed the seventh day and made it holy because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done.Genesis 2:2-3

Sundays are interesting days. A morning in song simply makes my heart swell with happiness.   And yet, some days the getting-to-church part is a bit challenging.  

When the choir sings at early service, we have to robed and ready to sing by 0730.   One particular Sunday, I was home enjoying a particularly vibrant sunrise and my desire to consume that spectacle conflicted with my commitment to sing.  Going to church, I travel east to west; a perfect route for Sunsets.  The sky was gorgeous. Goodness how I wanted to see that sunrise! Regardless, I had songs to sing.  I drove my car west consoling myself with the possibility of catching snatches of the sunrise through the rearview mirror.    
Suddenly, I realized the power of reflection!  The colorful drama, the splendor-ific sunrise was on display.  I had only to look up at the walls of glass windows on the downtown buildings and it was revealed in reflection!
The power of God is unfathomable.  Each day, each moment is something new.  
Created in the image of God, we too are creators.  Everything we require is provided.  We have only to recognize the opportunity.
Sally Hirsch

No comments:

Post a Comment