Thursday, March 17, 2016

"Searching for Sunday" Lenten Devotional Series: Once upon a time...




Thursday, March 17
Once upon a time…

I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another.John 13:34

As a child, I stayed with my grandparents on weekends in their small town south of Burlington VT.  We went to church on Sunday mornings.  At that time, it was a small congregation, as the village was small.

The church sanctuary was upstairs – a long curved staircase that was difficult for the elderly to climb, but every Sunday they made the effort.  It was very plain, as old country New England churches are – very high ceiling, huge plain glass windows with shutters on the inside.  I don’t remember if the pews had cushions, but I don’t think so.  The altar was one step up, and had a table with candles and a cross.  There was an organ in one corner, which had to be pumped by feet in order to make a sound! 

We always sat part-way down on the right side.  My grandfather’s mother probably sat there once.  The seats were very uncomfortable for a child, and I wiggled, which was frowned upon by my grandparents.  It was hard to sit still –  the smell of the warm air, the look of the sunshine on the floorboards, the drone of flies, especially in summer still fill me with a sense of holiness.  I remember being surrounded by people who had watched me grow from an infant, who knew my mother when she was growing up.  I felt safe, secure and loved by that church community.  One day I will go to rest in the cemetery across the road from the door to that church.

Thank you Lord for the communities that have surrounded me in my growing up and my adult life, who have cared for my soul, my future, my life day-to-day.  I would not be who I am today without all the saints who surround me.  I stand in awe of each of them.  Amen.
  
Clare Whitney

No comments:

Post a Comment