Wednesday, March 16, 2016

"Searching for Sunday" Lenten Devotional Series: OTHERS: Lessons from My 1950s Childhood




Wednesday, March 16

OTHERS:  Lessons from My 1950s Childhood

In everything, do to others as you would have them do to you.—Matthew 7:12

Super Sundays in Idalou:  I grew up in a small town in West Texas in a United Methodist church with about 120 members.  I picture my family sitting five pews from the front on the right behind the Rackleys.  Our schedule was pretty typical – Sunday School at 10 AM, Church at 11.  My Dad was usually the last one out of church standing beside the pastor.  At noon we would hurry south on the dirt road to my Grandmother’s farm three miles from town where we would join the rest of the family for a really delicious Sunday dinner with prize-winning desserts.  Sunday afternoons were spent outside and in the barn playing with my cousins.

Then,back to church for the 6:30 service (a really small group).  And, we used the Cokesbury hymnal in the evening often singing my favorite hymn on page 177 – Others Help me to live for others, that I may live like Thee.  

Life did change over the years.  As a teenager, I loved going to MYF at 5:30 and then to the Dairy Queen to hang out with other kids after church.  Several pastors and Sunday School teachers come to mind; I remember plenty of fine lessons about service to others and gentle support for growing spiritually.

Sundays were full of lots of love and attention within our small community and especially within our congregation and extended family. 

God, thank you for these wonderful memories of spending Sundays worshiping you.  I am grateful for the lessons I learned about living in and through you today.

Jan Silverstein

No comments:

Post a Comment