Tuesday, March 8, 2016

"Searching for Sunday" Lenten Devotional Series: Wedding Day




Tuesday, March 8

Wedding Day

I was glad when they said to me, “Let us go to the house of the Lord!—Psalm 122:1

My Sunday memory takes place in the beautiful sanctuary of Trinity United Methodist Church, and it changed my life forever more. It was a brisk, fall day and my marriage to the man I love was about to happen. Little did I know what my life’s journey had in store for me but I felt then as I do now, that I am exactly where I am supposed to be.

As I slowly walked down the very long aisle, on my proud daddy’s arm, I was pleased that I had been my own wedding planner. Being surrounded by my maid-of-honor and best friend, sister Nancy, my two best friends from high school and college in the beautiful bridesmaid dresses which my loving mother and I had sewn made for a perfect wedding day.

 When I repeated the vows “for better or worse, through sickness and in health”, I was confident in myself and in my Lord and Savior. Little did I know the journey ahead involved being away from home and family, all the sickness, the accidents, the death of an infant at birth, the loss of monetary stability, the challenges of raising three boys, leaving my church to raise our boys in my husband’s faith, loss of parents, and then, in time returning to my beloved Trinity church. My friend Jesus was with me all the way. My guardian angels have been busy all my life and are very real and personal to me.

Now I thank God for 58 years of marriage, looking forward to each day with faith that GOD will be with us every step of the way no matter what lies ahead. We love our church home and those who have been and are here to guide us on our journey.

Dear Lord, May all the couples who have been and will be married in this sanctuary receive your loving guidance and blessing. Amen


Beverly Gerlock

No comments:

Post a Comment