Thursday, March 3, 2016

"Searching for Sunday" Lenten Devotional Series: Getting Ready to Be with God's Presence




Thursday, March 3

Getting Ready to Be with God’s Presence

For surely I know the plans I have for you, says the LORD, plans for your welfare and not for harm, to give you a future with hope.Jeremiah 29:11  

Turning on the lights in Stiles Chapel, not too bright, just enough to be able to read the scripture chosen for this Sunday, lighting the candles (always preceded by a fervent search for matches), ensuring the Benedictine or Celtic chants are queued and placing copies of the scripture to be used for Lectio Divina on the table in the vestibule.  These are all part of my Sunday tradition for the last three years for that is when Cami Twilling, Director of Youth Ministries and Contemplative Spirituality asked if I would lead the Sunday morning Contemplative Spirituality group and I gladly accepted.

Lectio Divina is described as one of the great treasures of the Christian tradition of prayer which means Divine Reading.  I select several scriptures well in advance and so it still amazes me when someone confides in me that the particular scripture used that Sunday was the answer they had been searching for.  That reminds me that I am not alone in this Sunday tradition; it is all part of God’s plan for good for those of us  who have chosen to practice Lectio Divina early on Sunday mornings.

And knowing that makes it worth hunting for the ever allusive matches - I have learned to bring my own.

Joy Harvey

No comments:

Post a Comment